Edward investigates the lost railway lines of his home town in Going, Going, Gone – Nottingham’s Railway Heritage
The Edgware London & Highgate Railway opened in 1867. It was almost immedately taken over by The Great Northern Railway and ran services from Edgware, High Barnet and Alexandra Palace to Finsbury Park via Highgate and then onto Moorgate on what is now the Thameslink Northern City Line.
In 1933 it was announced that the line would be amalgamated into London Underground’s Northern Line as part of The New Works Programme and the entire route was to be electrified during the 1930’s. The scheme became known as ‘The Northern Heights.’ Quick and efficient electric trains would then serve the line to The City, as well as the West End, via a newly constructed tunnel linking the line with the tube network at Archway.