The line hobbled along with a passenger steam service until it was axed by British Rail in 1954. Goods trains continued to operate towards Alexandra Palace until 1957 and towards Finsbury Park until the mid 60’s. After this the line was used well into the mid 70’s to move London Underground stock by battery loco between Finchley and Drayton Park. In 1975 the Northern City Line south of Finsbury Park was transferred back to British Rail and this practice was no longer necessary and the track bed was finally removed.
To the right of the picture the line burrows underground again heading towards Edgware. It re-emerges again parallel to the modern day Northern Line at Highgate Sidings just south of Finchley.